ID Theft Protection
Help Us Fight Card Fraud
From time-to-time, Putnam County Bank will receive alerts from VISA International concerning compromises in our customers' VISA Check Cards. These alerts are a result of anti-fraud devices VISA uses to monitor card activity. A compromise suggests that card numbers and expiration dates "may" have fallen into wrong hands...no other information. Putnam County Bank utilizes a variety of tools which provide around-the-clock monitoring of these transactions to prevent fraud and unauthorized use.
While we employ state-of-the-art tools, we still need the help of our customers to fight fraud. Here are some important tips to remember to help us fight fraud:
Protect your Personal Identification Number (PIN):
- Never write down your PIN. Memorize it as soon as you get it.
- Do not disclose your PIN to anyone. No one from any financial institution, the police or a merchant should ever ask for your PIN.
- Beware of phishing emails. These are emails that appear to be from your bank or online merchant asking for account information.
- Do not reply to them or click on any links. Visa, your bank or any other legitimate online merchant will never ask for your PIN or other personal financial information via email.
- At an ATM or PIN pad, enter your PIN discreetly, shielding the keypad with your hand or body.
Spot suspicious activity and protect your account:
- Review your monthly checking account statements to spot any unauthorized purchases. You can also monitor your account activity online at any time at www.putcobk.com or via the telephone toll-free by using PUTNAM-24.
- Review your credit reports for accuracy. Call any one of the three credit reporting agencies to receive your free annual credit report.
- If you spot any unauthorized charges, please contact us immediately at (304) 562-9931.
- You should also contact the three credit reporting agencies listed above to notify them of any suspected fraud or identity theft.
By using some very simple steps, you will help us in the daily fight against fraud and thieves who look for all possible ways to steal. All our personnel are trained in how to protect our customers and their accounts. If you have any questions, please call us.